Softcover book, 297pp
The Lowbrow Reader Reader is the first book from The Lowbrow Reader, the New York comedy zine. Edited by Jay Ruttenberg, it gathers together the best writings and drawings from the journal’s eight issues, along with a smattering of new material. Included inside:
– Up-close encounters with Muhammad Ali, the White Stripes, Ol’ Dirty Bastard, and Judaic comedian Jackie Mason.
– Poetry by the comedian and actor Shelley Berman detailing his work portraying Larry David’s father on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
– Margeaux Rawson’s rip-roaring interview about S-E-X with Mo’Nique and the Queens of Comedy.
– Articles and illustrations by David Berman, Carson Ellis, Neil Michael Hagerty, Lee Hazlewood, Doreen Kirchner, Mike Reddy, and Gilbert Rogin.
– Articles on Billy Madison, Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, Chevy Chase, Don Knotts, Gene Wilder, and all three of the Three Stooges.